Tahoe Keys Property Owners Association
Short-Term Vacation Renter Policy
Board of Directors Resolution
Whereas, the Tahoe Keys is a family-oriented, residential community that is located in a scenic and quiet environment. The close proximity of the residences in the Tahoe Keys increases the likelihood that disruptive behavior will impact other residents.
Whereas, a large number of properties within the Tahoe Keys are offered as short term vacation rentals through Vacation Rental Agencies and Vacation Rental by Owner or through other agencies or by other methods.
Whereas, the City of South Lake Tahoe has a Vacation Rental Ordinance as set forth in Article XIII of Chapter 28A of the City of South Lake Tahoe Code. 'This ordinance is intended to address problems involving excessive noise, disorderly conduct, vandalism; overcrowding, traffic, congestion, illegal vehicle parking and accumulation of refuse at vacation home rentals and some of these problems have impacted Tahoe Keys. Anyone who leases their property in the City for short-term rentals is required to register and obtain a license from the City and must comply with the following regulations ("Vacation Rental Restrictions"):
Violation of the City of South Lake Tahoe Vacation Rental Restrictions may subject to the owner to penalties and fines.
- No more than two people per bedroom plus four additional people are allowed to remain overnight;
- The number of parked vehicles is controlled and signage inside and outside the home must be posted setting for the parking requirements;
- The owner or the owner's agent must be available for immediate contact;
- The property may not be used for commercial activities such as weddings, receptions or large parties;
- Licenses must be reviewed annually.
See links above for recent ordinance changes as well as a link to the city's website.
Whereas, the TKPOA Governing Documents provide TKPOA with the authority to fine and impose other discipline on property owners for violation of the TKPOA governing documents by themselves, their tenants and vacation renters;
Whereas, the TKPOA CC&Rs prohibit conduct, which violates statutes, ordinances and laws, which includes the Vacation Rental Restrictions imposed by the City of South Lake Tahoe.
Whereas, the activities of short term vacation renters frequently interfere with the quiet enjoyment of nearby residents in the community.
Whereas, TKPOA incurs substantial cost in dealing with vacation renters who violate the TKPOA governing documents
Now, Therefore, be it Resolved, that TKPOA hereby adopts the following Rules concerning short-term vacation renters:
- All owners and short-term vacation renters must comply with the City's Vacation Rental Restrictions
- All short-term vacation renters must comply with the TKPOA governing documents including provisions which prohibit "nuisance" behavior and set forth rules concerning vehicles, boats, trailers, parking and use of docks and lagoons;
- Each short-term vacation rental shall have a Rental Placard which may be obtained from the City of South Lake Tahoe;
- No home may be rented to nor used by more than two (2) people per bedroom plus four (4) additional people;
- The number of vehicles shall not exceed the number set forth in the Rental Placard and shall only be parked in spaces designed for the unit being rented;
- The following conduct is prohibited:
- Excessive, disruptive or objectionable noise including noise levels in excess of what is permitted by applicable laws after 8:00pm on weekdays and 10:00pm on weekends;
- Speeding or making a wake while in a TKPOA lagoon or waterway;
- Indecent exposure or trespassing;
- Drunk or disorderly conduct, destruction of private property, harassment of residents or TKPO staff or other conduct that is an unreasonable annoyance to the neighborhood;
- Allowing dogs to be "off leash";
- In the event TKPOA determines that a potential violation of this Short Term Vacation
Rental Policy has occurred the owner and if applicable the tenant will receive a notice of hearing as provided in the TKPOA governing documents. If a violation is found, TKPOA may impose the following discipline:
- Impose a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000) per occurrence and take appropriate action to collect the fine(s);
- Suspend the right of the owner or the tenant to use or allow short-term vacation renters to use of the common area or common facilities (except for ingress and egress to the property)
- Impose a special individual assessment against the property owner for costs incurred by TKPOA (including sums paid to contractors, attorneys and/or others) to repair damage and/or cure a violation of this Short-Term Vacation Policy;
- Request appropriate action by the City of South Lake Tahoe
- TKPOA will notify all TKPOA Members and all Vacation Rental companies that this policy is in effect. The notice will include a recommendation that each member owning a rental property in the Tahoe Keys should include terms of their rental agreement stating that any fines may be passed along to the renter. It will also recommend that each rental agreement should include a deposit to cover any possible fines that may arise.
- Notice of this policy shall be sent to the members of the association on or before June 15, 2014.
- The effective date of this policy shall be July 16, 2014.
- The foregoing policy shall remain in effect until such time as they it be changed, modified, or amended. This policy supersedes all previously adopted nuisance violation and fine policies.
Be it further resolved, that within 120 days of the beginning of each fiscal year a copy of the policy herein adopted or as may be subsequently modified or amended shall be delivered to each of the members of the association as required by law.
Certificate of Secretary
The undersigned, the duly acting or appointed Secretary of the above corporation, certifies that the foregoing Resolution was duly moved, seconded, and adopted by the requisite majority of the Board of Directors at a duly notice meeting of the Board held on June 3, 2014.
Date: 06/03/2014 Original Signed by Neal Simmons, Secretary
TKPOA - Vacation Rentals - Behavior Policy
TKPOA has been experiencing an alarming increase in complaints from its full time residents regarding the disrespectful behavior of the short term vacation renters. The most common complaints are associated with the following types of disrespectful behavior: over-occupancy, noise violations, destruction of private property, speeding in our channels, trespassing, and fishing from docks. In addition, there are many other types of complaints.
The goal of implementing this policy is not to punish owners that are using their properties as vacation rentals, alternatively it is intended to modify the behavior of the vacation renters to be more respectful of the TKPOA's community, and create a peaceful environment for its full time residents. The following policy is being implemented on (date).
TKPOA Vacation Renter Nuisance Policy:
TKPOA has a zero tolerance policy from vacation renters regarding the following types of behavior violations:
OVER - OCCUPANCY
DESCTRUCTION OF PRIVATE PROPERTY
SPEEDING IN OUR CHANNELS
TRESPASSING ON NEIGHBORING PROPERTIES
FISHING FROM DOCKS